We all love a good story, one that comes alive through the words of the storyteller. Well-crafted narrative draws its readers or listeners in and speaks to their minds and hearts in a way that no speech or sermon can. And when the story is more than just fiction—when it is truth itself, told in the life and death of Jesus—engaging the heart is crucial.
The Bible is the grand narrative of God’s dealings with humanity, and Jesus Christ, the Son of God, is the central character. Like a carefully cut diamond that glimmers in the sun, the multifaceted revelation of Jesus allows the supernatural light of God to shine through Jesus’ life and works. Across the pages of all four Gospels the beauty and wonder of Christ’s life story give readers a glimpse of the nature of God. For example:
• By His birth we have been graced by His impeccable humility.
• His miracles are the messianic signs of His irresistible power.
• The parables unveil the mysteries of His insightful wisdom.
• His commands direct us by His inherent authority.
• His discourses contain the truths of His infallible leadership.
• Listening in on His conversations we hear the echoes of His inexhaustible love.
• Watching Him develop His disciples confronts us with His imploring call.
• In His prayers we are the beneficiaries of His importunate intercession.
• Revealed in His character is a blend and balance of His infinite perfections which fully and perfectly mirror those of His Father.
• His passion in death and resurrection reflect His intentional obedience whereby God was satisfied with His payment for sin and the basis by which we can be saved by grace through faith in Him.
The masterful story of the Bible is the story of the Master. In Jesus’ words, actions, and character God revealed His love and purpose for us and He also revealed Himself.
Great stories have the ability to shift our perspective. This Christmas may our understanding and awe of God deepen as we contemplate the greatest story ever told.
About the Contributors
Dr. Bailey assumed the role of DTS Chancellor after serving for 19 years as the Seminary’s fifth President, and continues his role as Sr. Professor in the Bible Exposition department. In addition to his years at Dallas Theological Seminary, he has pastored various churches in Arizona and Texas. He was a seminar instructor for Walk Thru the Bible Ministries for twenty years and is in demand for Bible conferences and other preaching engagements all over the country and world. His overseas ministries have included Venezuela, Argentina, Hungary, and China. He is also a regular tour leader in Israel, Jordan, Egypt, Turkey, Greece, and Rome. His board service includes Bible Study Fellowship, Walk Thru the Bible Ministries, and Word of Life.